Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

Confession: I love Sci Fi


I have a confession to make. I'm a bit of a sci fi geek. And at some point I'm sure I'll post about my love of Star Trek: The Next Generation (everyone shoudl watch it!). But what's on my mind right now is Pacific Rim, a movie I just watched with D one Saturday night after the Pepper went to sleep. Luckily, D and I both enjoy a good sci fi film so it's usually easy for us to agree on a movie to watch. When I first heard about Pacific Rim I was so excited to see it. It had so many things going for it: Guillermo del Toro! Charlie Hunnan! Idris Elba! And of course, giant robots fighting giant monsters! But when it actually came out the reviews were mixed. So I lost my enthusiasm. But I'm glad I still suggested we watch it the other night because I loved it!
Now, it could be that I went in with low expectations. But Guillermo del Toro, who wrote and directed, really brought a great eye to genre. Of course in some ways it was just a silly action movie. But his style and aesthetic made the visuals of the movie so engaging. And I think he set the ground of a great story. There is how the world deals with not only the threat of something huge and external, but the aftermath. For example, what do you do with the bodies of these giant now dead creatures? And then there is how the two pilots need to work together when their minds are intimately connected. One theme that I saw in the film is how someone fears and anxieties can have negative effects on those aorund them. Interesting stuff.

What I would have actually really loved is for this to have been a TV series a la the amazing Battlestar Galactica. There was a lot to explore here and I think the story needs time to look at all the things that this film was just able to hint at.

Either way, if you like sci fi, I recommend it!



Image Via.

No comments:

Post a Comment