Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

The Oscars 2014

Did you watch the Oscars last night? I have always loved the Oscars. Probably because I love movies, and probably because I grew up in Los Angeles where it's true that most people are in "the industry" and therefore I feel connected to the show somehow. A lot of people in my life feel invested this way because they are actors or writers or such. So we all gather around and get excited and fill out our ballots and have lots of opinions. We get very quite during the show (because you can't miss anything!) and then all chime in during the commercials. Well, that's how it's been most years. This year, with our little one at not yet a year old, I changed up my Oscar party plans.

Instead of the usual party at someone's fabulous Hollywood home, we had a little family party at our modest loft. Just the three of us having a special evening of watching tv and eating in front of the screen. I didn't get to see everything because the Pepper of course wanted to play and do other things. But I got to pay attention to the things I wanted to and didn't feel the loss of the other. Luckily there are still plenty of ways to get my Oscar fix today with all the post-show coverage. And though watching the Oscars with a baby of course isn't an ideal viewing experience, there were some wonderful moments that involved the Pepper. She was riveted by Pink's performance and at one point even started singing along! It was so sweet.

I think the reason I love the Oscars is that it's a celebration of accessible entertainment: movies! You get introduced to things you maybe didn't know about (I feel I need to see Nebraska now) and get to revel in things you loved (yeah Cate!). But you also get the acknowledge and think about the other people involved. I loved the speech by the writers of Let It Go. And of course there is the sort of combinations that could only happy at the Oscars. I mean, where else will you have Meryl Streep shimming along with Pharrell! A fun night. Though I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of Ellen as host. Her casual charm just didn't seem to translate well. And while the pizza bit has funny it also seemed to last a long time. I feel they haven't' really been able to figure out the hosting thing. Nobody has been right for awhile. We'll see what they come up with next year.

Image via Ellen's twitter account. It goes to show that celebrities are truly genetically gifted as they all look amazing there.

No comments:

Post a Comment