Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Thank goodness for friends

Over the last few weeks I've been really thinking about how important having good friendships are. As we get older and busier and we all have jobs or husbands or kids it can get harder to put the time aside to visit with my dear friends. But that time is so important! I can't say exactly what it is about seeing a good friend that is so rewarding. For me, I think it's the ability to be myself and not feel judged. My friends are where I can go to talk about anything whether it be silly or serious. And the ease of conversation and laughter is so valuable, especially amongst the everyday stresses of life.

I've been told that the older you get the more important it is to know people that knew you when. I think this is another important things we all need in our lives and that can be given by friendship. One of my dearest friends I've known since elementary school. She's known me through the awkward days of high school, the exciting days of college, my first love, my first hear-break, my parents divorce, dating the wrong guys, an engagement, a then called-off engagement, my first job, my first apartment, and she was the only non-family member at my wedding ceremony. So, this girl knows me. So not only is she a amazing smart funny and wonderful person, she knows me in the ways that I can't fully describe to the new people I meet. And that is so valuable. Our life experiences change us, sometimes in large ways, sometimes subtly. Knowing what those experience are gives our long-term friends a perspective on us that is unique. And their advice and love reflects that understanding of us.

Yes, I'm feeling very thankful for my friends.

Top image is this print found on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment