Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

My relationship to fitness


I wrote a little bit here about my lifestyle and how fitness plays a part. But it's definitely changed over the last year or so with the addition of the Pepper to our family. 

D was actually the one who got me to devote myself to regular exercise. When we met he was going to yoga regularly while I was just relying on my youthful metabolism to keep me in shape. After watching him leave the apartment to go workout enough times, I finally decided to join him. And I loved it. I also started talking to people and doing a little research. The amazing thing is that exercise helps the body in so many ways. Not only does it make you look good but it helps with depression, anxiety, sleep issues, stress, PMS, etc. I decided that I wanted to reap the benefits and so I committed to getting regular exercise. It helped that I thoroughly enjoyed yoga class, and that D and I were doing it together.

Over the years D tried to get me into running (not my thing), and we did a stint where we incorporated swimming into our fitness routine. But mostly it was yoga. I would go to yoga 4 times a week, and then 1 day a week I'd do some straight cardio usually using the machines at the gym. That means I was working out 5 days a week which sort of sounds like a lot. But I believe it was keeping me healthy, and my body responded. I started feeling stronger, and more flexible. It was worth the investment.

Well, after a few years of that I got pregnant. While pregnant I kept up with my workout schedule. I still went to yoga 4 days a week and the gym 1 day a week. But, my workouts were different. I was taking it easy so that my workout time became more about moving and stretching. I had a fairly easy pregnancy and I don't know how much was because I exercised, but I like to think it had something to do with it.

After the Pepper was born I waited the 6 weeks and then got the ok from my doctor to start exercise again. Luckily D supported me in this effort and would watch the baby while I went to a yoga class or quickly popped out to the gym. I knew it was important for me mentally and emotionally to take that time to myself to get the blood moving and reconnect with my body. Over the last 9 months it's been hard to keep up with the yoga from a schedule perspective. Since I work I hate to take time away from the Pepper to go to yoga. So, currently I try to go to the gym 2 times a week, and yoga 1 evening a week. It's not as much as I would like but I know it's still a good amount. 

For me, exercise and fitness is about more than how I look or if my heart is healthy, it's about helping my emotional state. Even if you do just a little bit to start I highly recommend finding something physical that you like to get those endorphins going ;)

Photo via.

No comments:

Post a Comment